It’s true, your home, the place you call your own, could be making you sick. If your home is harboring mold, whether you realize it or not, it could be causing you to suffer from illnesses or make you suffer from respiratory issues and headaches. Did you know that there are more than 100,000 different types of mold? This fact alone means that you could be at serious risk and not even know it!
Where is the Mold?
If you have mold in your home, it could be anywhere. The most common places are the dark, damp places that you might not realize until it is too late. These places include your attic, basement and garage. You could also have it underneath sinks in your bathroom and kitchen or in your living room where there was a water leak in the ceiling that you did not notice right away. Not every spore will be dangerous, but a majority of them can be, causing you to suffer serious illness and side effects.
Signs that you Have Mold
Sure you might know the telltale signs that you have mold in your home, including discolored walls, peeling paint or a musty smell in certain areas of the house, but do you know the physical signs? Being able to recognize the signs that humans show as a result of mold exposure could be crucial. Does anyone in your family have a consistent runny nose, respiratory issues or digestive discomfort when they are at home? If the symptoms are alleviated when they are not at home, chances are there is mold hiding somewhere in your home causing the issues.
How to Fix It
A majority of the time, mold damage that makes you sick needs to be repaired by a professional. If the mold spores are that far spread, they could become even more harmful if not handled correctly. If you are untrained in mold remediation, you could spread the spores even further throughout the house or inhale them yourself, putting you and others at risk for more illness. In addition, removing the mold means more than cleaning it; it needs to be completely removed from your home, which sometimes means cutting out the affected area altogether.
If you suspect mold in your home, now is the time to get rid of it before the damage becomes even more severe. Take an inspection of your home to see if you are at risk for mold infestation and get help right away!