It’s no secret that Chicago weather can be severe, no matter the season. We have seen many different types of storms, high winds and snow storms over the years to understand that our weather is anything but predictable. With this type of weather comes the worry of roof damage. Since it is up so high, it takes a large brunt of the damage that occurs not just from harsh wind or rain but also from the harmful UV rays of the sun. It is important to stay aware of the type of damage to look for in order to have proper roof maintenance and repair performed right away.
Common Exterior Signs
No two roofs are the same and the signs that they exhibit if damage has occurred can greatly vary. In general, however, the following signs are important factors and need attention to prevent further damage to your home:
- Shingles that look worn, curled, bent or are obviously falling off are the first sign to look for. If you see one or two shingles that are in bad shape, you might have many others that are in the same condition unbeknownst to you.
- Tiles that exhibit crumbling or cracking could be exhibiting signs of UV damage.
- Flashing that is damaged could occur from improper installation and could cause severe damage inside and outside your home.
- Buckling of the shingles could affect the entire structure of your home.
- Rotting or algae on any roof material needs immediate replacement.
Not all of these symptoms are visible to the naked eye and from the ground. If you suspect any type of damage, it is best to call for a professional roof inspection rather than risking your own safety to determine if you have a problem.
Common Interior Signs
Many people think to look outside at the roof to determine if there are issues, but neglect to consider the signs that exhibit themselves inside. If there is a problem with the structure of your roof, chances are you will have water leaks inside the home too.
- Water spots on the ceiling or walls
- Obvious water spots or dark spots around vents or chimneys
- Spots on wood that are still wet
Any of the above signs are indicative of your need for immediate inspection and roof maintenance. This will determine if you need repair or replacement in the near future. Even the slightest sign of problems with your roof need immediate action to reduce the likelihood of permanent damage and more costly repairs.