As fall comes to a close and winter quickly approaches, it’s possible that you have recently cleaned your gutters in anticipation of the water and ice that is about to grace your gutters and roof. This is a very important step to saving the structure of your home during the harsh winter months. One step that many homeowners miss, though, is the maintenance of the roof eaves. This important step in home maintenance could result in damage to your home if not properly performed.
The portion of your roof that hangs over your home, protecting the siding, walls and ceiling from excessive water damage is crucial to the safety of your home. Because these structures hang over the home and take extensive wear and tear from rain, hail and falling debris, they need continual maintenance in order to remain effective.
Problems that Occur
A few of the common problems that cause damaged roof eaves include:
- Moisture Issues – This occurs as a result of the rain, snow and ice that accumulates on them, causing eventual warping or rotting as a result.
- Weighed Down – If your gutters are not properly cleaned, the debris that accumulates could weigh down the edges causing structural damage and reducing the effectiveness of your roof. This includes the damage that can occur from the weight of ice in the winter.
- Paint Chips – without proper maintenance, the paint can begin to chip or peel back, allowing more water and moisture into the structure of your home.
Maintain or Replace
In order to avoid the need to replace your roof eaves, it is important to maintain them with a few simple steps:
- Cleaning – Simply cleaning them along with your gutters as needed is one of the best ways to ensure their longevity. Reducing the amount of time that leaves, water or ice accumulate on them, increases their ability to protect your home.
- Paint – If the paint begins to chip or peel, repairing it as soon as possible will reduce the amount of moisture that accumulates saving not only the roof but also the interior and exterior of your home.
As an added benefit, maintaining the roof eaves, allows you to increase the aesthetic appeal and value of your home as it is one of the first things that anyone sees as they approach your home. Before winter is upon us in full force, ensure that your eaves are properly maintained to reduce the likelihood of excessive damage this winter.