You rely on the functioning of your gutters to effectively rid your home of rainwater and other debris, but when they are not properly cleaned, you are putting your home at risk for various major issues. While cleaning gutters is not a chore that anyone typically looks forward to, it is one that should not get overlooked on the “honey do” list this spring.
Reasons to Keep Gutters Clean
Many homeowners wonder why it is important to clean the gutters, after all a little debris can’t hurt, right? Wrong! It can and will hurt in the form of damage to your home as well as to your pocketbook as you have to pay for more repairs than just your gutters. If you keep yours clean you are preventing serious problems with your foundation, siding, interior of your home and landscaping.
- Foundation – If water is allowed to pool around your foundation, over time it will cause your foundation to crack
- Basement – That same water that causes your foundation to crack can also cause leaks into your basement
- Siding – Water that is able to leak onto your siding over time can cause the paint to fade or leave water marks. In addition, any wood on your siding or fascia can rot due to an overabundance of water exposure
- Landscaping – Your beautiful landscaping could also pay the price from leaking gutters. New plants and trees are especially susceptible to damage from constant water exposure, but any plant life is at risk
- Gutters – If there is too much weight from water in your gutters, they could eventually sag or even break all together, leaving you with an even larger mess to deal with
All of these mishaps could be prevented simply by paying careful attention to the status of your gutters. It is recommended that you clean your gutters twice per year, but any time that you suspect there is an accumulation of debris is the perfect time to inspect them and eliminate any risks. Preventative maintenance is the cheapest and most convenient way to prevent serious disasters from occurring to your home this spring.