Wood roofs allow a home to display natural beauty, which for many homeowners is a desired trait.Â Wood roofs can be made with wood shingles or wood shakes.Â Both types have a distinct look that differentiates themselves from one another.Â Wood roofs do require a fire retardant treatment because wood roofs are highly flammable.Â They are also susceptible to rotting and insect damage.Â Wood roofs do require frequent maintenance in order to keep them mold, mildew and insect free.
One of the more traditional ways to roof your home is with wood shingles.Â Wood shingles have a natural look and blend in well with your landscaping and surrounding environment.Â Wood shingles are most commonly available in Western Red Cedar, Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Eastern White Cedar.Â The benefits of wood shingles are:
- Uniform Appearance â€“ Wood shingles offer a smooth, uniform look throughout the roof.
- Natural Appearance â€“ There is not a material that can come across as more natural than a wood roof.Â As wood shingles age they gain a grayish appearance that helps them look even more natural.
- Long Lasting â€“ Wood shingled roofs can last up to 30 years when they are properly maintained.
- Insulation â€“ Wood shingles have high insulation properties allowing you to reduce your utility bills by not having to use your heater or air conditioner as often.
Wood shakes are a variation on the traditional wood roof â€“ giving your roof a little character.Â There are no two wood shake roofs that are identical because of the wide variations in the color, style and manner in which the wood is cut for wooden shakes.Â The benefits for wooden shakes are very similar to those of wooden shingles:
- Non-Uniform Appearance â€“ This is the main difference between wood shingles and wood shakes.Â Wood shakes have a unique look that is more rugged than smooth.
- Natural Look â€“ Wood shakes look even more natural than wood shingles because of their rugged appearance.
- Long Life â€“ When wood shakes are properly maintained they can last up to 30 years.
- Insulation â€“ The insulation properties of wood shakes are very high â€“ allowing you to decrease your utility bills.