Mold is like a silent intruder in your home. More than likely, you cannot see it, but it is there. It can cause many different health problems for even the healthiest person. For those with respiratory issues such as asthma or bronchitis it can mean serious complications. Understanding how to remove any mold in your home is essential. The common places to check include:
- Leaking Windows
- Leaking Roof
- Air Ducts
- Around Plumbing
If you notice leaks in any of these areas, chances are you are at risk for mold in your home. The first step you should take is to rectify the situation. If you have a leak in your roof, call your professional for proper roof repair. They can also check for the presences of mold on the exterior of your roof, which can cause damage to the structure of your home over time. If you have leaking windows, repair the seals. If that doesn’t do the trick, it might be time for new windows. Basements, air ducts and any areas with plumbing should also be check often for leaks.
Controlling Mold Growth in Your Home
In order to reduce the likelihood of mold growing in your home, there are a few routines steps you can take.
- Inspect your home several times per year, including the attic, basement and areas around the windows. Look in hidden areas, such as behind furniture, at the corner of wallpaper and underneath cabinets. Mold likes dark, warm places, so it might not be really obvious that it is there.
- Clean your gutters often and avoid standing water. If they are clogged, they need to be cleared right away.
- Look for condensation on windows and doors or dark spots on the ceiling or drywall that indicate a water leak and determine where it is coming from.
If you Find Mold
If you do find mold, you need to take proper precautions before removing it. Always wear protective gear including a mask and gloves. Try to contain the area so that you do not spread the spores while cleaning; this will just spread the mold to other areas of your home. Use an abrasive cleaner such as bleach and make sure to disinfect any surrounding areas, even if you think they were not affected. If the mold is out of control, it is best to call a professional for safe removal.