You likely know that gutters are a necessary component of any roofing system, but do you know why? Aside from the fact that they keep the water off of your roof, extending its life, they also help to protect your precious landscaping. After all of your hard work and money spent on making the area around your home beautiful, it is important to keep up gutter maintenance to ensure that your flowers, bushes and trees stay as beautiful as the first day you planted them.
- Overflowing Water – Water is good for most landscaping, but too much can be a bad thing. If you have newly planted landscaping and overflowing gutters, you could create the recipe for washed away plants and flowers. This is especially true for annuals that you plant every year as their roots are not as established as your other landscaping that has been around for years.
- Invite Pests – Too much water, especially standing water, can invite unwanted pests onto your property. Termites, ants and even rodents can navigate their way to your property, causing your fresh landscaping to be eaten, trampled and otherwise ruined.
- Soil Erosion – Fertile soil is essential for healthy landscaping. With overflowing gutters, however, you could have soil erosion, which leads to damaged soil. Your most important soil is typically near the top, especially if you recently fertilized or treated your plants for proper growth. If it is washed away, it is harder to keep your landscaping healthy.
- Diseases – Too much water can cause your landscaping to suffer unnecessary disease including mold growth.
- Lack of Oxygen – Landscaping thrives on the proper balance of water and air. If there is too much water, the soil cannot receive the appropriate level of oxygen, eventually causing the roots to die.
How to Prevent Ruined Landscaping
The best way to prevent your landscaping from being ruined is cleaning your gutters twice per year. For some, however, this is not enough. Depending on the number of trees and other large landscaping items that are on your property, it might be impossible to keep your gutters clean. In these instances it is important to install gutter guards in addition to routine and emergency gutter cleaning to keep your landscaping healthy and thriving for many years to come.