What is Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement siding is a mixture of cement, fibers and sand. These materials combine to make a siding that is durable, does not rot or decay and can withstand harsh weather elements.
What are the Benefits of Fiber Cement Siding?
The benefits of fiber cement siding are numerous:
- Low maintenance – Fiber cement siding does not require yearly maintenance and it holds paint very well, which means you will not have to have your siding repainted often as is the case with wood siding
- Withstands weather elements – Fiber cement siding does not swell or contract, which means it can withstand harsh winters or very hot summers without doing any damage to your siding.
- Resists rot, mold and mildew – Since fiber cement siding is made from mostly concrete, it resists rot, mold and mildew which helps to keep your home safe as well as reduce your maintenance costs. Even if you live in a very rainy area, you do not have to worry about fiber cement siding rotting.
- No risk of termites – Wood siding presents a major risk for termite damage which can be detrimental to the structure of your home. With fiber cement siding there is no risk of termites, keeping your home safe from structural damage.
- Aesthetically pleasing – The beauty of fiber cement siding is its ability to look like any other siding type. Available in a wide variety of colors and textures, fiber cement siding allows you to achieve the look of vinyl or wood siding but with more durability.
- Long lasting materials – Many manufacturers of fiber cement siding offer guarantees of around 50 years for fiber cement siding since it is made of such durable materials that look new much longer than other materials.
- Resists dents and scratches – There is no worry about scratches or dents with fiber cement siding such as you would have to worry about with vinyl or aluminum siding.
- No risk of fire – Certain types of siding such as wood or vinyl are at high risk for burning, especially when a barbeque grill or other hot surface is too close to the home. Fiber cement siding is completely fire proof.