Mold is one of the largest risks of having a roof or windows that leak. Sometimes you cannot even see the mold that is in your home, which can cause you serious health risks, without you even realizing that it is there. Not everyone is susceptible to the risks that exposure to mold causes, but if your immune system is compromised or you suffer from allergies or asthma, it could be a serious concern for you.
Symptoms of Mold Exposure
There are several symptoms of mold exposure that you might experience including:
- Nasal congestion
- Respiratory issues including coughing or difficulty breathing
- Skin rashes
- Eye irritation
- Dry or itchy throat
In addition, anyone with underlying diseases or severe allergies could suffer from serious complications that include lung issues. Many of these issues can become life threatening, which is why keeping an eye on any mold growth in your home is essential.
How you can Prevent Mold
Mold growth is not something you are doomed to deal with in your home. There are a variety of ways to prevent it from occurring at all. The first place to start is checking for leaks in your roof, windows or basement. If you see any obvious signs of water infiltration, you need to get the leaks fixed right away. If you don’t see anything, but still suspect mold growth due to a musty or moldy smell in certain areas of your home, have a mold inspection completed as soon as possible. The professionals know the exact areas to look to find leaks that you might never have seen.
If you know that you have a damp room, especially the basement, you can add a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the room and decrease the risk of mold growth. You can also pay careful attention to areas such as the bathroom and kitchen, making sure that they are properly ventilated to avoid the buildup of moisture, which is a breeding ground for mold.
When you take the proper precautions, you can avoid exposing your family to the serious risks involved with mold exposure. If you suspect that you are dealing with side effects of exposure, it is important to seek medical attention right away to prevent the problems from becoming worse.